Friday, April 20, 2007

My Excellent New Watch



Okay, I don't usually indulge in patting-self-on-the-back, but I'm so excited about my new watch I just had to show it off. I found this on eBay, and it appeals enormously to the clockwork fiend in me (as well as the steampunk/clockpunk/wonder-ous parts of me). I paid 99¢ for it (plus $40 shipping), which I consider a deal, as it was sent to me from China.

It keeps excellent time, as long as I wind it; it is durable, and best of all, I can see it working - tiny gears and springs ticking around. The crystal, front and back, is actually a deep lense, giving it a magnifying effect which is curiously intimate and magical. You feel, on looking into it, that you are peering into a secret world, where delicate parts move and glow, and perhaps an alchemist hovers in the background, waiting for you to look away...



And besides, strangers stop me on the street to look at it - which I would do if I saw someone else wearing it. It is indeed magic.

More on Monday...

3 comments:

Honky-Tonk Dragon said...

That is a gorgeously unique watch!
Good score.

I updated my blogroll recently, and put you in there. Really liking how your blog is progressing. Keep up the good work!

Honky-Tonk Dragon

O Pentagrama said...

I'm IN LOVE with that watch...

If you ever want to sell it, contact me:

cogumelobowser@iol.pt

=P

No rushes, of course. I'll wait years if I must...

JEALOUSY!

Hehe, kudos.

Heather McDougal said...

Ah, I'm actually needing to find someone to repair it right now. I've no idea how they'll get inside it! It got dinged once too many times and has been losing time since. Sigh. It worked really well for a year or so there.