Friday, November 7, 2008

A Sigh of Relief


For the very first time in my life, I am proud to be American. Seriously.

It's a weird feeling. I feel part of something big.

Mostly, though, the wordless weight of millions of disillusioned souls have stopped rubbing, rubbing, rubbing at the national psyche. Now the voices have spoken, millions upon millions of them: the polling places didn't know what to do with the numbers; our system is set up for so much of the country to go unheard. And with this one gigantic moment of speech, of the exercise of choice, we are free. We get to choose who we are.

An exhalation of hope on a national - no, international - scale.

And with that voice, we say we believe in each other. We say we are, indeed, one people.

The sense of space is limitless; the sense of silence, and peace, and relief, immense. Like Maya Angelou said, "Even my hairs are happy."
___________________________________________

(And ZeFrank, oh wonderous and silly man, has a great way to celebrate).

9 comments:

Liam said...

Well put. I'm still amazed, and electrified.

Prairie Gothic said...

Isn't it wonderful? I have never been so happy and proud. Yes we did!

Anonymous said...

There are definitely both pros and cons, two actually. Obama winning is definitely the pro, but Prop 8 passing is the most upsetting con seen in a long time.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for some of the loveliest words I've read about the election of Our New President (makes me smile every time :-)

paintandink said...

Thank you so much for the ZeFrank link... I am passing it on to everyone I can... fantastic!

Anonymous said...

"For the very first time in my life, I am proud to be American." I've been saying and thinking those exact words ever since election night. I looked at that flag flying over Grant Park and for the first time thought that it was beautiful, and felt that it belonged to *me* in a way.

I love your blog, please keep writing about wonderful things!

Melissa Manley said...

Hear, Hear!
Enjoy your blog immensely.

Anonymous said...

But as the list of Obama appointees grows, and includes all the same old, bad old names, including the warmongers from the last regime, any realistic hope for true change fades. Iraq = no exit soon. Afganistan = the same. Iran = next. Wall Street = Exact same Crooks. Our hope was an illusion.

Heather McDougal said...

Oh, I don't know. I'm inclined to be more hopeful than that. There have been a lot of smart people appointed so far, and that makes me happy.