Friday, August 15, 2008

Ospedale Delle Bambole


This place is wonderful. If you are ever in Napoli, I highly recommend you swing by. It's small, and doesn't take much time, but the nearby neighborhoods are pretty great, too. I often find dolls somewhat creepy, but there was something familial about how they were all crowded together.

Some highlights:











These last two were standing on the ledge next to the stairs down to the very dark and interesting looking basement, which was essentially a hole in the floor.

Familial atmosphere aside, I wonder what happens there at night, when it's all locked up, and the lights are off....?

4 comments:

Liam said...

Those are great pictures.

Naples is one of the craziest, filthiest, most beautiful places I've ever visited.

Heather McDougal said...

Sheesh, you said it! I have never been anywhere I loathed so much on first sight and truly liked so much after a couple of days. It really has to grow on you! ...But I wouldn't want to live there.

spacedlaw said...

I saw that place many years ago, when first visiting Naples. Incredible and surrealist. Like the city itself.
Did you see the Capella San Severo while you were there?

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for posting this wonderful place I never would have discovered otherwise! This blog is fantastic, and I've been following it consistently for quite a while.

I just gave you credit in my own blog for this post:

http://shewalkssoftly.wordpress.com/2008/09/18/ospedal-delle-bambole/

Thanks again for opening my eyes to great things!